Former Vice President Mike Pence‘s aide refuted rumours that his employer submitted a “statement of candidacy” to the Federal Election Commission for the 2024 presidential election.
Pence’s spokesperson, Devin O’Malley, said that the former vice president did not submit the necessary papers to run for president.
O’Malley stated on his Twitter page that “former Vice President Mike Pence did not file to run for President today.”
O’Malley also responded to a tweet from digital strategist Greg Price in which Price claimed that journalists and commentators had been “pranked.”
An FEC representative told Fox News Digital that the organisation couldn’t comment on specific filings but added that it will look into any possible false or phoney candidacy filings.
A declaration of candidacy for “Mike Richard Pence” was posted on the FEC website on Monday afternoon. It includes a post office box address from Anderson, Indiana, the home state of the former Vice President.
According to Reuters, the declaration was listed on the website as “raw” filings, indicating that the FEC has not yet reviewed it.
Pence previously submitted paperwork to the FEC using the name “Michael,” which is his complete first name.
Despite the event, Pence is reportedly considering his possibilities for a 2024 presidential campaign.
The former vice president will consult his family about his plans for the 2020 race while spending the holidays in Indianapolis, a Pence official told The Washington Post.
Additionally, Pence was reportedly hiring employees for his campaign. According to Politico, Pence’s charity group, Advancing American Freedom, has hired Ali Kjergaard, a spokesman for outgoing Nebraska GOP Sen. Ben Sasse, to serve as the organization’s communication director.
As the 2024 campaign got underway, Pence’s team was also looking to employ more fundraising and communication staff.
Pence claimed that Americans would “have greater alternatives” in 2024 than the outgoing president Donald Trump in November.
The erstwhile GOP duo of Pence and Trump’s relationship had been deteriorating since the attack on the Capitol on January 6, 2021.
Pence cited Trump as the culprit for the incident that led to the attack on the Capitol in his recently released book, “So Help Me God.”